UPDATE FROM MR. KEELER
If you are receiving this email, it is because you have signed up for Concert Choir at Northwest Rankin High School for the 2019-2020 academic year. I wanted to take a moment to reach out and discuss some plans for next year. Right now, we don’t know what the school year will look like, but I’ve put together some ideas for how the choir would look in the upcoming year if we are in person, hybrid, or completely online.
Please make sure that you fill out the google form that I have attached to this email no later than MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2020. I want to make sure that we order music and Choir T-Shirts for every student enrolled in the choir. This year, instead of sharing music from class to class, each student will have a digital copy of the music and be provided with all music that we will perform.
Right now, I am working on several ideas to make sure that we sing and have choir in a safe manner that allows us to continue to create and make music. Here are some things that I have planned.
1. Possible Outdoor Concert - If singing is allowed in open, outdoor spaces, we will consider an opportunity for an outdoor fall concert. This will only happen if we have approval form NWR Administration and RCSD.
2. Virtual Choir - Many of you may have seen videos via Instagram and other social media outlets of choirs that have performed music virtually. I am in the process of learning about the process of procuring music and performing it virtually. This will be a great way for us to still make music and have all students involved in the process.
3. Piano / Keyboard Skills - We will use a web-based interface to teach basic piano and keyboarding skills. I am excited about using this tool this year in the choir. This will help every choir in the process of aural and ear training skills.
4. Sight Reading Factory - Sight Reading Factory is a great tool. If you are a returning choir member, you are familiar with Sight Reading Factory. During the 2019-2020 academic year, we used SRF as a group. Your Music Fee will cover an individual account that you can use during the school year. We will use this tool if we meet in-person or online.
5. Right now, the class fee for choir is $50. This will cover music and t-shirts. If we don’t meet in person, I will schedule a day for you all to come to the school and pick up your materials for classes. If RCSD chooses the traditional restart plan, the choir fee will be $125.00. This will include materials, robe rental, and Choir Festival travel. Renaissance choir members will have to rent from our costume supply or purchase a costume. We will discuss all of these details after RCSD makes a decision about which restart plan we will implement. If you already have a charms account, your parents can go ahead and post the $50 dollar payment. If you are new, it will take a week or so for us to get your account created.
I hope that you all are having a great summer. I am eager to return to singing with you all and very excited about meeting the incoming students that will be joining our program. This year, between students that signed up for choir and show choir, we have 120 students in our program. This is amazing. Please email me if you have any questions and make sure that you fill out the google form. This is how I will order T-Shirts for the choir. We will use our t-shirts for the Virtual Choir Videos / wear them to events if we are in person.
I can’t wait to see you all! Stay safe!
Director of Choral Activities
Northwest Rankin High School at Flowood
Inspiring Learners, Developing Leaders